It is bitter news for German Formula 1 fans. In addition to Sebastian Vettel (35), Mick Schumacher (23) will no longer sit in one of the 20 cockpits in the premier class of motorsport next season. The German had been hoping for a new contract for 2023 for months – in vain.
At the weekend, Haas boss Günther Steiner (57) revealed that his team, which was the last racing team to have a regular seat available for the coming year, had already decided on a driver. About the announcement of the second pilot alongside Kevin Magnussen (30), the South Tyrolean said: “We just have to clarify the details of how we’re going to do what we’re going to do.”
Good for the German fans: Despite the end of Schumacher and Vettel, there will be a German driver in Formula 1 next year. According to information from BILD, Nico Hulkenberg (35) is about to return. The driver, who lives in Monaco, should sign his new contract on Tuesday – if everything goes normally. Everything will be made official in the next few days.
At Haas, the decision was made internally to change drivers, among other things, because Schumacher was developing too slowly and was too expensive. In this season alone, he caused damage amounting to more than three million euros.
However, Schumacher was also the media driving force. Numerous sponsors signed on with the US team because of him. It is unclear whether they will remain loyal to Haas in the coming season (without Mick). Some donors are already tending to leave the racing team. Steiner can do it financially
And Schumacher? His future is currently open. After two years at Haas, the hottest lead leads to Mercedes. Although both cockpits are already occupied by world star Lewis Hamilton (37) and George Russell (24) at the German racing team, the team is still looking for a reserve driver. When asked about the Brazilian race, team boss and co-owner Toto Wolff (50) said: “I make no secret of the fact that the Schumacher family belongs to Mercedes and that we appreciate Mick very much.”
It seems as if Schumacher is only half leaving Formula 1. There is also a minimal chance of a headquarters. Williams has already decided on Logan Sargeant (21) as the successor to Nicholas Latifi (27) – but the young driver still lacks the license, i.e. the Formula 1 driver’s license. The fact that the American will finally meet all the requirements in the coming weeks is more of a formality.